College of Veterinary Science, Khanapara
College of Veterinary Science, Khanapara had its origin in the Assam
Veterinary College established in l948 at Nagaon with a three year diploma
course in the line of veterinary colleges elsewhere in the country.
In 1958, the college was granted affiliation to Gauhati University and
started the Bachelor of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry (B.V.Sc
& A.H.) degree programme. The College was shifted to the premises
of the Directorate of the Veterinary Science, Government of Assam at
Chenikuthi, Guwahati in l950. Later in l960, the college was shifted
to its present location at Khanapara, Guwahati. With the establishment
of Assam Agricultural University on 1st April, 1969, the Assam Veterinary
College along with its physical facilities and manpower was transferred
to the university and was renamed as College of Veterinary Science under
the Faculty of Veterinary Science.
Presently, the college has 14 teaching departments with Post-graduate degree programmes. As per recommendation of Veterinary Council of India, few more departments are in the process of creation. The traditional system of education of the college was replaced by Trimester System in 1969, which was further replaced by semester system in 1977. In 1995 a new course curriculum prescribed by Veterinary Council of India was adopted.
The college has celebrated its Golden Jubilee Year in 1998 and during its 50 years of existence the college has contributed immensely in the human resource development for not only the state of Assam but also for the entire North-eastern Region and the Country as a whole.
Copyright © 2001 Assam Agricultural University, Jorhat, Assam (India)
Website designed and maintained by Dr. Ananta Saikia and Dr. Jyoti Gogoi on behalf of ARIS
Information source: Planning & Monitoring Unit, AAU, Jorhat