facilities of veterinary education was created in the state with the
establishment of Assam Veterinary College in 1948 at Nagaon with a three
year diploma course in the line of veterinary colleges elsewhere in
In 1951 the Assam Veterinary College was shifted to Guwahati and the duration of the course was extended to four years. In 1958 the college was granted affiliation to Gauhati University and started the Bachelor of Veterinary Science and Animal husbandry (B.V.Sc. & A.H.) degree programme. In 1960 the college was finally shifted to the present location, Khanapara. The duration of the course further extended to five years and eligibility of admission to the degree course raised to intermediate in science.
With the establishment of Assam Agricultural University on 1st April, 1969, the Assam Veterinary College along with its physical facilities and manpower was transferred to the University and was renamed as College of Veterinary Science under the Faculty of Veterinary Science. The Assam Agricultural University changed the entire academic system of the college and entrusted with three mandates viz. teaching, research and extension. Presently the Faculty has 14 teaching departments with Post graduate Degree programmes. As per recommendation of Veterinary Council of India few more departments are in the process of creation. The traditional system of education of the college was replaced by Trimester System in 1969, which was further replaced by Semester system in1977. In 1995 a new course carriculum prescribed by Veterinary Council of India was adopted. Currently the intake capacity is 100 students in each batch including second Veterinary College at North Lakhimpur with an intake capacity of 20 students.
The college has excellent teaching and laboratory facilities with sophisticated instruments enabling teachers/scientists and research scholars engage themselves in frontier research of fundamental and applied aspects of veterinary science. The highly qualified teachers are always keen to shoulder their responsibilities to augment the glory of the science as well as the college.
The college possesses a full-fledged Veterinary Clinics and self sustaining Instructional and Livestock and Poultry Farms.
The students of the college are actively involved in co-carricular activities and regularly earning laurels for the college in state and national level events. In spite of their busy academic activities the students regularly take part in NCC activities. To promote sports activities, the college has developed a sports complex with facilities for football, cricket, basketball and lawn tennis.
The college has celebrated its Golden Jubilee Year in 1998 and during its 50 years of existence the college has contributed immensely in the human resource development for not only the state of Assam but also for the entire North Eastern Region and the country as a whole.
Copyright © 2001 Assam Agricultural University, Jorhat, Assam (India)
Website designed and maintained by Dr. Ananta Saikia and Dr. Jyoti Gogoi on behalf of ARIS
Information source: Planning & Monitoring Unit, AAU, Jorhat